Jurglič’s toplar from Prelesje
Jurglič’s toplar (double hayrack) was declared a cultural monument of local importance in 2003. The toplar boasts three pairs of windows, a “gank”, or balcony, and a gable roof. It was built by master carpenter Kafol Jože in 1924 for an ex-innkeeper, Franc Jurglič. It has a rich façade with the inscription of the maker and the owner on the front beam bellow the “gank”. The oak pillars stand on stone platforms and the wooden cross-arms are decorated. Originally, the kozolec was placed on the right side of the Prelesje–Šentrupert road by the barn and the cellar with the granary, while the stable and living quarters that were also part of the Jurglič homestead stood on the other side of the road. There was previously a different kozolec at this location before 1924 when it burnt down. The Jurglič family were also innkeepers and had a medium sized farm. The kozolec was roofed with clay tiling, “kikinda”, and later with concrete roofing. There have been no major repair works done on it, aside from the roofing and repairing the hips on the roof. The homestead was also known as “at the Šimešči” and it measured 10 hectares (half arable land, half forest). In front of the house is a well that the innkeeper used for cooling beverages in. The kozolec was used year round until the farming regime was changed. “I remember when we used to prepare grain and we had our own thresher in the barn where we threshed. We kept the grain above the cellar where there was the granary and crates and an electric mill made by Granddad. We only ground the grain for ourselves.” The most common grains sown were wheat and barley, with occasional crops of buckwheat, which didn’t do well in the foggy area and was quickly abandoned. It is said, however, that buckwheat cleans the soil and it was often sown for that very reason.
There was much happening under the kozolec, as there was the cellar nearby with many celebrations taking place there.
Jurglič’s toplar was also a status symbol – as out interviewee put it: “It was beautiful and big”.
There were many fruit trees around the homestead. The home-made cider kept the farmers refreshed and was also popular with the local brickworks workers.
The kozolec is 8.4 m wide, 15.3 m wide, and 7 m tall.
- Ostrvi from Bela Krajina
- Roofless kozolec from the Ribnica valley
- Lah’s kozolec from Migolica
- Pluskar’s kozolec from Brezovica pri Mirni
- Šraj’s kozolec from Velike Pece
- Rantah’s kozolec from Vrh
- Šepec–Lash’s kozolec from Dolenja Nemška vas
- Lap’s toplar from Bistrica near Šentrupert
- The hill toplar from Prelesje
- Kamnar’s toplar from Ravnik
- Blašč’s kozolec from Praprotnica
- Zatler’s toplar from Rakovnik pri Šentrupertu
- Luka’s toplar from Trstenik
- Grčarjev toplar
- Franckov kozolec from Draga pri Šentrupertu
- Žmavčev kozolec from Straža
- Ziherle’s toplar from Slepšek
- Gabrijel’s kozolec from Rodine pri Trebnjem
- Jurglič’s toplar from Prelesje
Dezela kozolcev Sentrupert, d.o.o.
tuesday9.00 - 16.00
wednesday9.00 - 16.00
thursday9.00 - 16.00
friday9.00 - 16.00
saturday9.00 - 16.00
sunday9.00 - 16.00